Three lesson plans have been developed to guide teachers through the Student Budget Consultation. The lessons are designed to increase knowledge about Québec government and public finances, encourage political debate and dialogue, foster a sense of civic duty, and develop critical thinking and decision making skills.
These activities are linked to a wide variety of subject areas, including: citizenship education, social studies and government, financial education, economics, current affairs and media literacy.
Using the suggested activities and teaching tools, teachers are encouraged to spend 1 to 3 classes covering the content and participating in the consultation.
Lesson 1: Budget Basics
- Lesson 1: Budget Basics [PDF]
- Activity Sheet 1.1: Personal Budget Plan [PDF] [Word]
- Handout 1.2: Financial Profiles [PDF]
- Handout 1.3: Expense Cheat Sheet [PDF]
- Activity Sheet 1.4: Budget Basics [PDF] [Word]
- Video: Introduction to the Québec Student Budget Consultation [YouTube]
- Budget Basics videos [BUDGET BASICS]
- Slide Deck A: The Budget Basics [PPT]
- Slide Deck B: The Québec Government’s Expenditures [PPT]
- Slide Deck C: The Québec Government’s Revenues [PPT]
Lesson 2: Key Issues
- Lesson 2: Key Issues [PDF]
- Activity Sheet 2.1: My Québec Budget [PDF] [Word]
- Activity Sheet 2.2: Examining the Issues [PDF] [Word]
- Slide Deck D: The Québec’s 2017-2018 Budget [PPT]
- Slide Deck E: Interprovincial Comparisons [PPT]
- Expert Opinions videos [EXPERT OPINIONS]